The Star reports that thousands of security guards have been left unemployed after Passenger Rail Agency SA (Prasa) terminated contracts with their companies across the country. On Monday, the Prasa board announced that they had resolved to terminate contracts with private security companies because they didn’t get value for money. Crime and cable theft continue to be issues that the rail agency has to contend with despite employing private security guards.
Acting CEO Nkosinathi Sishi said the contracts had been appointed irregularly by the previous board during the presentation of the War Room Report on Monday. The war room was established to monitor progress and implement solutions on Prasa on the quality of service, safety and security among other things. “From now onwards, we are going to work with police and the committee of all State Security agents. From 1 November, they’ve been a part of our security effort. Already, progress has been made towards ensuring an increase in train sets, availability, improved on-time performance,” Sishi said. The contracts were terminated at the end of October.
by Tebogo Monama