SABC’s application to reverse irregular appointments dismissed

SABC News reports that the Labour Court has dismissed the application by the SABC to reverse irregular appointments in the corporation. The public broadcaster said the 28 appointments violated company policy. The irregular appointments are part of former COO Hlaudi Motsoeneing’s legacy. The Court delivered judgment on Friday morning.

Jubilation in the courtroom as the application by the public broadcaster was dismissed in the very short court sitting. This application was filed by the SABC on the 20th of August 2019 following the recommendations of the reports of the Public Protector and the Parliamentary Ad Hoc Committee. The matter was heard before the court for the first time on December 11 and 12, last year. However, the SABC has been unsuccessful.

by Pearl Magubane

Releated

Informal traders allowed to resume business

SABC News reports that government has relaxed some lockdown regulations, such as the re-opening of spaza shops, including informal food traders. Close relatives of deceased persons are now also allowed to travel between provinces to attend funerals. Night vigils are still not permitted. No more than 50 people are allowed to attend a funeral. This […]

Minister Patel signs new regulations, establishes toll-free hotline to report hike prices

SABC News writes that Trade and Industry Minister, Ebrahim Patel, says a toll-free hotline has been established to report individuals or companies that hike the prices of products such as facemasks, gloves and hand sanitisers amid the coronavirus outbreak. The Competition Commission is investigating 11 companies for heavily increasing the prices of items. President Cyril […]