TimesLive reports that four officials were arrested in Soweto on Thursday in an anti-corruption crackdown dubbed Operation Domino for allegedly facilitating the issuing of fraudulent roadworthy certificates in respect of vehicles that had not been tested.
The three vehicle examiners and a cashier were arrested during a raid of the premises of Innovative Roadworthy Centre in Midway‚ Soweto‚ by a joint team of law enforcement officers comprising the Road Traffic Management Corporation’s National Traffic Anti-Corruption Unit‚ the SAPS’ organised crime unit and the Gauteng Traffic compliance unit. Hundreds of roadworthy test sheets bearing a passed stamp and the signature of the cashier‚ were found on the premises. Particulars of applicants and results of tests done on vehicles had not been filled in on the forms. The suspects are expected to appear in court on Monday for a bail hearing.
Bloomberg reports that Royal Bafokeng Platinum (RBM) was ordered on Thursday by mining inspectors to suspend operations at its North shaft. The company was issued with a so-called Section 54 notice for the entire shaft, said two people familiar with the situation. The suspension follows a similar notice a week ago which resulted in the shutdown of operations at parts of the South shaft for safety reasons.
Inspectors from the Department of Mineral Resources apparently returned to the mine earlier on Thursday. RBM advised last week that it had informed Aforika Borwa Mining Solutions, which is linked to the politically connected Gupta family, that it won’t be renewing its contract.
by Paul Burkhardt and Loni Prinsloo
SABC News reports that Kal-Gold mine, a subsdiary of Harmony Gold, is expected to engage with the community of Kraaipan to defuse the ongoing dispute over the employment of locals in the Ratlou Municipality. The community of Kraaipan Madibogo, Mareetsane and Ga Khunwana burned trees and used rocks to block the N18 linking Vryburg and Mahikeng since the early hours of Monday.
They accuse Kal- Gold of failing completely, over a long time, to create benefits from the community upon which they operate. Community forum spokesperson, Pogisho Dipheko says they will not back down until they get a response in writing that their demand will be met. Meanwhile, the mining operations has also come to a halt after a group of miners who went for a night shift on Sunday still cannot exit the mine. The mine management was not available for comment as it was reported to be en route to Kraaipan.
by Mpho Lepedi
Sunday Tribune reports that patients treated by an unregistered doctor at the Daymed Private Hospital in Pietermaritzburg plan to sue the facility. Four patients who were treated by Cuban national Juan Luis Yings Elutil, known as Dr Omar, said last week that they were horrified. Elutil, who was caught after an investigation by medical aid firm Discovery Health, was arrested by police two weeks ago and charged with fraud by the Health Professionals Council of SA (HPCSA) for practising while unregistered for 14 years.
The hospital is owned by Dr Navind Dayanand, who last week denied knowing Elutil was unregistered. Last week, the Mountain Rise police station sent out a statement stating that the case against Elutil had provisionally been withdrawn in the Pietermaritzburg Magistrate’s Court, but this was died by the National Prosecuting Authority.
by Nabeelah Shaikh
SABC News reports that many municipalities in the North West are facing financial difficulties. This is against seemingly unsuccessful intervention efforts by the provincial government. Some municipalities, such as Ditsobotla and Lekwa – Teemane local municipalities ended up unlawfully using employees’ statutory deductions, such as medical aid and pension deductions, to pay off, their debts.
The practice, which left many employees without benefits, has been condemned by the North West Legislature’s Standing Committee on Public Accounts (Scopa). Faced with financial challenges, Ditsobotla local municipality, dipped its fingers in the employees’ statutory deductions, estimated at R4million. The municipality’s illegal deductions have caused hardships for many of its workers. The South African Local Government Association (Salga) blames such challenges, on lack of capacity, within municipalities. Scopa has summoned the Ditsobotla and Lekwa Teemane local municipalities, to appear before its committee, to account.
by Olebogeng Kgosilentswe
eNCA reports that tuberculosis killed more than 33,000 people in 2015, remaining the leading cause of death for many South Africans in the past three years, Statistics South Africa (StatsSA) revealed on Tuesday. According to the report “Mortality and causes of death in South Africa 2015: Findings from death notification”, tuberculosis (TB) accounted for 7.2 percent of all deaths last year and had averaged at least at seven percent each year in 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Diabetes mellitus accounted for 5.4 percent of all deaths. Overall, there were more male deaths than female deaths in 2015, from infancy until age 65–69, after which there were more female than male deaths. Over half, or 55.5 percent, of deaths, were attributed to non-communicable diseases. Communicable diseases accounted for 33.4 percent of deaths, while injuries were responsible for 11.1 percent of deaths, the trend since 2009. StatsSA said that, as could be expected, deaths due to non-natural causes were highest among the youth, with young males being the biggest casualties.
BusinessLive reports that a newly published report by the Treasury shows that technical and vocational colleges are deeply dysfunctional. Only 2% of students completing courses within the minimum time and only 10% completing the three-year course in six years. The technical and vocational education and training (TVET) system caters for students who opt for a technical education instead of matric and offers tertiary qualifications for matriculants with a diploma pass.
The Department of Higher Education has poured an increasing share of its budget into the colleges rather than the universities in an attempt to place the college system at the heart of post-school training. But the report shows that much of this has been wasted as few students complete their courses.
by Carol Paton
Fin24 reports that the introduction of six self-service checkout counters at a Pick n Pay branch in Observatory, Cape Town, has raised fears of a future nationwide roll-out of the kiosks and thousands of cashiers potentially becoming redundant. Pick n Pay is adamant that no jobs will be lost, but staff interviewed at the Observatory store say their employers’ assurances have not allayed their fears. “We are worried,” said a staff member who was helping shoppers negotiate the self-service counters. Cosatu spokesperson Sizwe Pamla said the trade union federation did not trust Pick n Pay’s promises. “In fact, we are suspicious,” said Pamla.
“We believe it wants to get rid of its workers. We don’t think it’s helpful in an economy that has collapsed – technically, we are in a recession – to be introducing mechanisms that threaten workers.” Cosatu was planning to meet with their affiliate in the retail sector, the SA Commercial, Catering and Allied Workers’ Union (Saccawu) during the course of the week before pursuing the matter “publicly and privately with Pick n Pay”. SACCAWU could not be reached for comment. In a statement attributed to strategy and corporate affairs group executive David North, emailed through their public relations company, Pick n Pay stated that staff were needed to monitor the self-service checkouts and there was “no impact on employment”. A source at the store did say the branch had “just employed nine more cashiers” despite introducing the self-service checkouts.
by Steve Kretzman
SABC News reports that The departments of Education and Health have joined forces to fight the rising number of pregnant underage girls in schools. Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga says they have put programmes in place to teach young girls about reproductive health. Her remarks come after a recent report, which revealed that over three thousand underage girls are pregnant in the Ratlou municipality in North West.
Motshekga says, “What we should do is work with them, educate them on reproductive health so that we stop teenage pregnancy… We see from our statistics we are able to retain more girl learners. Girls who have fell pregnant and were allowed to come to school don’t have multiple births.”
The Star reports that the long-delayed racism case brought by City Press reporters against their then boss Ferial Haffajee is due in court next week. The four former reporters brought the case against then editor Haffajee in January 2014, accusing her of defaming them by calling them racists. They all worked at the newspaper at the time, but have all since left. The four have claimed R3 million each from Haffajee and Media24, which owns City Press.
Although Haffajee left City Press recently, but is still the defendant in the case. The matter is now set down for a hearing in the Johannesburg High Court on 18 August. The dispute goes back to October 2013. The four claim that at a City Press meeting Haffajee called them racists and “culturally superior”, and also accused them of “causing divisiveness”. They say she subsequently put up a notice saying, “No racists allowed”, which was apparently aimed at them. Haffajee denies defamation. In court papers she says that she apologised to the four on three occasions for “having individualised her criticism” of them.