Workers are invited and all supportive organisation to join on Monday 20th May 2019, at Pretoria High Court and be part of our campaign, for Domestic workers to be included in the Workers Compensation Fund (COIDA).
On Monday the Pretoria High Court will be hearing the case of our Member Cde Cynthia Mahlangu who drowned at the employers house and died and left a family behind with not support. Currently they are discussing the COIDA for Domestic Workers and It was gazetted in December since then nothing has happened. The mass support on this Court Case against the Labour Department that is supposed to be protecting the vulnerable workers but suppressing us as Domestic Workers
For further Enquiry please Contact:
General Secretary: Myrtle Witbooi 078 841 4382
Daily News reports that unpaid teachers at a private school in Morningside, Durban, were on Tuesday told to leave by the owner after they had staged a sit-in on Monday refusing to teach until they were paid. The teachers, who had not been paid since January, were allegedly told the school management was awaiting a sponsorship and that parents were not paying school fees. The teachers apparently had continued teaching all this time because they were dedicated and they believed they would be paid.
Ishara Dhanook, the executive officer of Naptosa FET and special schools department, said the union was preparing to take the school to the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA).Department of Education spokesperson Kwazi Mthethwa said the teachers were right to approach their unions to report their employer.
by Sne Masuku
The JB Marks Education Trust Fund, a bursary scheme that was established by the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) will host the 8th edition of the Annual JB Marks Career Exhibition from the 15th to the 18th of May 2019. This time, the host province is Gauteng, and the adequately named expo this year is “My Future 4.0 Career Skills and Development Expo” and will take place at the TicketPro Dome, Northriding in Johannesburg.
Local Schools from the North, including schools from Cosmo City, Diepsloot and Honeydew will release their Grade 9 learners for the Expo. All the Gauteng public school, from as far as Soweto, Tembisa, Alexandra and Orange Farm were invited to attend at a no-fee charge, courtesy of JB Marks Education Trust Fund – who will be covering their entry tickets. The learners will be treated to a wide variety of organisations that will showcase ground-breaking, thought-leading and innovative digital technologies, to enable them to grasp which career opportunities are available for them to consider and explore possible future career choices.
My Future 4.0 is a world-first, 3-hour experience, buzzing with everything digital to prepare for the future workplace! Exhibitors will include, amongst others, Microsoft, Google, and various companies from the digital marketing and infrastructure, Artificial Intelligence, Medical Technology, Financial Technology, Virtual Reality, Gaming, Coding, Cybersecurity, Film and Media, Robotics and many more industries. The entry ticket is R195 per person and open to everyone, children under the age of 12 can enter for free. JB Marks Education Trust Fund is covering the entry tickets for all public schools in Johannesburg.
For more information
contact:060 673 8075
The National Education, Health and Allied Workers’ Union [NEHAWU] has signed a settlement agreement after a 4 days strike at the Agricultural Research Council [ARC]. The strike came as a result of the failure by the employer to give our members a salary increase and other demands that we tabled with the employer. After marathon meetings with the employer parties agreed on the following:
– Salary increase on a sliding scale ranging from 10 percent and 1 percent for senior managerial staff members on a single term agreement. Parties are to meet later in the year and renegotiate for those senior managerial staff members and workers between GG7 and GG 12 salary scales.
– A process to deal with medical aid; housing allowance; performance bonus and pay progression.
– Employer to assist employees who are injured whilst on duty by allowing them to be treated by private institutions
NEHAWU consulted all its members on the settlement agreement and majority of its members mandated the union to settle the dispute. The union is now preparing to campaign for the ARC to be funded correctly as the council plays a pivotal role in the health our fellow South Africans. Our government needs to play a proactive role in ensuring that the ARC is properly funded and it keeps its doors open at all times.
The South African Transport and Allied Workers Union (SATAWU) is aghast that state-owned companies Transnet and Autopax are preventing workers from voting in tomorrow’s national election. Reporting for work yesterday morning, workers at Transnet Freight Rail (TFR) were greeted by posts on notice boards informing them they are expected at work on 8 May, even though the head of state has declared it a public holiday. By midday today, two more letters, one from Acting Chief Human Resources Officer Sanet Vorster and TFR Acting General Manager: Human Capital Gayle Serema, were issued. Though more delicately crafted than the first, both reinforced the same message – miss work and go vote at your own peril.
Autopax has also issued a letter to the same effect. When workers queried this they were told to take annual leave. The absurdity is blatant. The date of the election was announced on 7 February, exactly three months ago. The management of these SOEs had ample time to make arrangements and tweak their rosters so as to accommodate voting workers. Attempts to dress up the intimidation of workers in fancy statements such as, ‘respecting the right of every employee to vote’, is not lost on us. Preventing citizens from voting is unconstitutional. SATAWU is shocked that state-owned companies are the ones leading this undemocratic programme. We call on the incoming administration to make its first order of business to clean up the upper ranks of SOE of managers that do not comply with the rule of law as it holds true that such managers also derail service delivery.
The National Education, Health and Allied Workers’ Union [NEHAWU] over the past two days has been engaged in marathon negotiations with the management of the Independent Electoral Commission [IEC] to resolve outstanding issues. The national union has managed to push the employer to commit to the agreement that was reached at the Electoral Commission National Bargaining Forum [ECNBF] which directed the employer to implement the new organogram by the 1st September 2019. Furthermore, parties have agreed to relook into the recommendations on the tools of trade that was presented to the employer by the Tools of Trade task team in July 2018. NEHAWU also raised sharply the victimisation of its members at IEC and as such parties have agreed on a process to address cases of members who have been victimised by management.
In implementing the resolutions reached by parties a committee of three a side has been established to ensure that implementation takes place. As NEHAWU we remain committed in ensuring that we gallantly fight for better wages and improved working conditions for our members. In this regard, we call on the IEC to ensure that they immediately look into the issue of staff morale which is at an all-time low as a result of the issues that members have been raising. Moreover, we call on the management of the IEC to prioritise the issues of workers. Like any employer, they have an obligation of taking care of their more prized assets which is their human resources. Therefore, it is imperative that workers receive better salaries and they have all the tools of trade they need to perform their duties. NEHAWU will closely monitor the implementation of the agreement and ensure that member’s issues are addressed adequately and speedily.
TimesLive reports that the National, Education, Health and Allied Workers Union (NEHAWU) has obtained a court interdict against the department of higher education after it allegedly flouted a wage agreement and deducted money from employees’ salaries. NEHAWU said an agreement reached after their “successful” strike included the department deducting two days of pay per month “subject to verification”. “Notwithstanding the above clause of the settlement agreement, the employer proceeded to make deductions on the basis of the no work, no pay principle,” the trade union said.
Nehawu said it had approached the department, but claimed it was “adamant to proceed with the deductions without verification”. The trade union then filed an urgent application at the Labour Court which has ordered that:
– The department may not deduct more money from salaries paid to NEHAWU members from May 16.
– The department may deduct money from members once it had taken all the necessary steps and informed the members in a letter stating how many days they were on strike, the number of days that will be deducted, how many days had been deducted; and
– Reimburse those whose salaries it incorrectly deducted.
by Nico Gous
EWN reports that the Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) President Zingiswa Losi has appealed to the government to revoke licenses of mining companies that are not safety compliant. Losi addressed a National Workers Day rally in Durban, also attended by President Cyril Ramaphosa and South African Communist Party (SACP) general secretary Blade Nzimande. She cited last week’s scare at Sibanye Stillwater, where nearly 2,000 workers were temporarily trapped underground.
Losi reminded workers that May Day was a holiday because the federation fought for it and has assured them that they would continue their fight. Losi added more must be done to protect the lives of miners to avoid incidents such as the scare at Sibanye Stillwater on 30 April. “Mining companies that don’t comply with safety standards must have their licences revoked.”
by Nthakoana Ngatane |
Engineering News reports that South Africa’s largest labour federation, the Congress of South African Trade Unions is prepared to discuss reducing workers at the nation’s power utility if it’s given proof of over-staffing and that job cuts would save Eskom Holdings. “We are asking them to please table the evidence and research that indicates” that Eskom has too many workers, Bheki Ntshalintshali, general secretary of the Congress of South African Trade Unions, said in an interview at Bloomberg’s Johannesburg office. “When that evidence is gathered and made public, I think that will be a different game to look at because you can’t argue against facts, you can’t argue against numbers.” Neither Eskom nor the government has provided information on which specific jobs aren’t required, he said, adding COSATU may be prepared to discuss how workers could be moved.
President Cyril Ramaphosa announced in February that Eskom will be split into three units and, while he insists that the utility will not be privatised, Finance Minister Tito Mboweni said in the budget the government will invite private businesses to invest in the transmission unit. “We are jittery because, as much as the president says there is not going to be any retrenchments or job losses, if you listen to Treasury and the public enterprises minister, these are proponents for privatization,” Cosatu First Deputy-President Michael Shingange said. COSATU opposes any privatisation of the network because it could make electricity too expensive for the majority of poor South Africans. “How are we going to stop them from hiking the price?” Shingange said. “It’s not only about job losses for us, it’s about the fact that electricity is already extremely unaffordable to our people. Imagine when it is in the hands of private individuals.”
COSATU in Gauteng will be convening a press conference to update members and the public on its state of readiness for hosting May Day on the 1st May 2019.
The press conference will be held as follows
Date : 29 April 2019
Time : 11h00
Venue : COSATU House, 5th Floor, Braamfontein
For further information contact Dumisani Dakile on 0827271422.