The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) will hold a mass meeting at Sibanye Gold Cooke Operations today in Westonaria. This comes after Sibanye Gold has sent forced retrenchments termination letters to more than 2 000 workers at Cooke 1 to 3. The majority of workers who had received these letters are black mineworkers.
The company has already instructed workers not to go underground as it is preparing to put the operations on care and maintenance. More than 2000 workers who received the termination letters will attend the mass meeting. NUM members will not give up their struggle for a dignified life against capitalist barbarism that is happening at Sibanye Gold. NUM members will continue to show their fighting spirit and tenacity against Sibanye Gold Stillwater.
The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) had yesterday, 30 October 2017, signed a substantive two-year wage agreement with Modikwa Platinum Mine, a subsidiary of African Rainbow Minerals, based in Limpopo. The parties have been in negotiation on wage increases for the period 1 July 2017 to 30 June 2019. This collective agreement covers those employees employed in the bargaining unit, which falls within the scope of this agreement.
The parties agree that the basic rate of pay of employees at A to B7 and total package of employees at C1 to C5 shall be increased as follows:
A to B7 increased to R1000 or 7% whichever is greater while C1 to C5 increased to 7%. The parties also agreed for the home ownership allowance and living out allowance of R2 982 for the period of 1 July 2017 to 30 June 2018 and R3 176 for the period of 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019. Medical aid allowance will be increased and capped to R1 000 and R1 070 respectively. These wage increases will be implemented with effect from 1 July 2017.
eNCA reports that the South African Transport and Allied Workers’ Union (Satawu) has distanced itself from a voice note circulating on social media stating that an industry-wide security strike is planned for Thursday. A voice note threatens that security guards across the country will disrupt operations at airports, railways and shopping malls. It also threatens security officers — who will be working on the day that they will be met with deadly violence.
The clip goes on to make threats to foreign nationals working as security guards. It says they will be attacked and that they are not welcome in South Africa. Satawu has condemned sentiments in the widely circulated voice note. It said it does not know the origins of the voice note and does not support its sentiments. The union has since warned its members not to participate in criminal activities. Meanwhile, Satawu said the ongoing Chubb security strike, which began on Monday was not linked to Thursday’s alleged strike.
SABC News reports that SABC management and the newly appointed board says they are willing to enter into wage negotiations with trade unions and staff. This after the Communications Workers’ Union (CWU) and the Broadcasting, Electronic, Media & Allied Workers Union, (Bemawu), issued a notice of SABC workers’ intention to strike on 2 November.
The unions say non-unionised SABC workers would also be entitled to take part in it. They’re demanding a 10% salary increase. SABC spokesperson, Kaizer Kganyago says, “All that we are now going to do is try and bring everybody together – the unions and the staff members – so we can work together…”
TimesLive reports that SA Transport and Allied Workers’ Union (Satawu)-affiliated security guards at Chubb Fire and Security SA were due to embark on a strike from Monday. Satawu spokesperson Zanele Sabela said that the union had served Chubb with a 48-hour strike notice on Friday‚ after negotiations that began in December last year remained unresolved despite intervention from the CCMA. According to Satawu, management has refused to sign an agency shop agreement that will ensure that Chubb workers who are not affiliated to a union pay an agency fee equivalent to the union subscription.
Management has apparently also refused to implement a promotion policy which was agreed to by both parties. Satawu furthermore wants Chubb to pay managers a weekend stand-by allowance of R1‚000 per month‚ while the company is only willing to pay R350. Also, the union wants the company to align the date it implements the annual wage increase to the industry norm of 1 September‚ instead of on 1 January.
by Nomahlubi Jordaan
BusinessLive reports that the dismissal of three shop stewards who participated in an unprotected strike following the notorious Gupta wedding at Sun City in 2013 has been held to be substantively fair by the Labour Court. The three were among a group of employees from the SA Commercial‚ Catering and Allied Workers’ Union (Saccawu) who embarked on a strike on 11 May 2013‚ despite a Labour Court interdict preventing them from doing so. The workers went on strike as they believed Sun City had failed to deal with the alleged racist conduct at the Gupta wedding‚ which took place at the resort between 30 April and 3 May.
The union claimed at a meeting with management that the Gupta family only wanted white drivers and waiters‚ and that a female employee of the spa concessionaire had been sexually harassed by a guest. But, Saccawu did not submit relevant evidence as requested. Despite a subsequent court order‚ Saccawu members picketed at Sun City on 11 May. The employees’ subsequent case was that‚ although the strike was unprotected‚ it had been in response to unjustified conduct by Sun City. The judge ruled that if employees deliberately acted in contempt of a court order‚ they should not expect sympathy or mercy from the court.
by Ernest Mabuza
SABC News reports that Cosatu has expressed concern over the deaths of two mineworkers who were trapped by a rock fall at Kopanang mine in Orkney in the North West. The body of one worker was retrieved on Monday and the second late on Wednesday night. The incident brings to 11 the number of deaths in the mining sector in the last three months. Cosatu says the deterioration of health and safety regulations in the industry is deeply troubling.
Cosatu’s provincial secretary Job Dliso says: “it’s not the first incident as you would know. There were four other workers who were trapped by the rock in Tawulekwa, and the other five in Carletonville.” “So we are worried now because the lives of mine workers are at stake. We are calling for the minister of mineral resources and the mining bosses to intensify health and safety in mining.”
by Sashin Naidoo
SABC News reports that the South African Municipal Workers Union (Samwu) on Wednesday said that it was opposed to the plan by government to sell its Telkom shares, and was standing against the privatisation of state assets. Finance Minister Malusi Gigaba confirmed in Parliament during his Medium-Term budget Policy Statement (MTBPS) that government will dispose of a portion of the state’s Telkom shares to bankroll the embattled South African Airways(SAA).
Gigaba said government would have the option to buy back the shares at a later stage, but was going ahead with the sale to recapitalise the airline to prevent it defaulting on debt payments on government guaranteed loans. Samwu general secretary, Simon Mathe, said that they “note with great concern” pronouncements by Gigaba that government intends on selling their shares in Telkom albeit with the option of buying back the shares at a later stage. Mathe said Samwu remained opposed to the privatisation of state assets, and it was of the view that instead of the sale, government should be speaking of strengthening governance mechanisms at all state owned entities.
Engineering News reports that the Liberated Metalworkers Union of South Africa’s strike at Toyota Tsusho Africa in Durban, entered its fourth day. Limusa, an affiliate of the Congress of SA Trade Unions (Cosatu), said that the protected industrial action was as a result of the company’s refusal to grant the union organisational rights as required by the Labour Relations Act. The strike began last week Wednesday.
Toyota Tsusho Africa, a subsidiary of Toyota Tsusho Corp, operates as an automotive trading and supply-chain company. It also provides coils, cut sheets, tubes, bars, and wires. Limusa secretary in KwaZulu-Natal, Mawonga Madolo, said they have engaged the company and further referred the matter to the Council for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA). Madolo urged the union’s members to be united behind their demands and conduct themselves in a peaceful manner.
SABC News reports that two miners have been trapped underground after a rock fall at the Kopanang mine shaft in Vaal Reefs near Klerksdorp in North West. One body has been recovered.
Trade Union federation Cosatu has expressed disappointment at the increasing number of mining accidents killing workers. Cosatu Provincial Secretary Job Dliso says mine accidents remain a serious challenge. He says more than sixty mine incidents have been reported since January this year.
by Bafedile Moerane