The Department of Correctional Services (DCS) has warned that a number of “faceless-fraudsters” have been robbing unsuspecting job seekers by promising non-existent jobs and learnership opportunities‚ using various social media platforms.
National Commissioner Zach Modise said it was disturbing to note that the fraudsters request administrative fees of R150 or more for securing jobs in the DCS. He reiterated that applying for jobs in the DCS and in the public sector was free‚ and anyone asking for money was breaking the law.
eNCA says it has started consultations with its employees over its policy around the wearing of “doeks” following claims that the broadcaster canned a story because the reporter was wearing a headscarf.
News director Mapi Mhlangu said they were reviewing the policy with its staff and added: “The issue of a doek is merely a symptom for a larger call for change in contemporary South Africa. It is not an issue that could be resolved by quick tactical intervention.”
Municipal workers at Mokopane and 179 surrounding villages in the Mogalakwena municipality were back at work after a month-long strike for better wages.
The 760 municipal workers downed tools because they were not being paid the same as at other municipalities on the same grade as Mogalakwena. Although the workers were persuaded to return, their demands have not yet been met. SA Municipal Workers’ Union (Samwu) chairperson Jabu Mashamaite said their only hope now was that a solution to the unaddressed issues would be found after the upcoming municipal elections.
Impala Platinum Holdings said that rescue teams were digging deeper into the ground in a bid to find trapped miner Ohemile Moses Maamogwa.
Spokesperson Johan Theron indicated: ““We are clearing more area and getting much deeper into the fall of ground, but unfortunately we have not been able to locate him yet.” Rock drill operator Maamogwa was trapped underground following a rock fall at Implats’ 1 Shaft in Meriting near Rustenburg on 17 May.
A week since two men were killed during evictions in Hammanskraal, the company that employed them has failed to shed light on what went wrong on that day.
As the families of Elias Tshabalala and Lucky Nelushi try to piece together the events of 23 May, Majorie’s Trading Enterprise has remained quiet. The two Soshanguve men were killed when Hammanskraal residents turned on employees of Red Ants security company and Marjorie’s, a Pretoria-based construction and security business, which had been sent to evict them from land in the area last Monday. Five people were arrested, one of them for murder. Elias was buried in Soshanguve on Sunday, with the company’s help. The Tshabalalas had however expressed dissatisfaction with how the arrangements were handled. They accused Marjorie’s of not keeping to its end of the agreement and said they ended up having to spend more money to bury their breadwinner.
Striking workers at the University of the Free State in Bloemfontein have blocked the main entrance at the institution with their vehicles.
Traffic entering the university has been disrupted and some staff members have had to use other entrances to enter the premises. National Education Health and Allied Workers’ Union (Nehawu) affiliated workers are chanting slogans, demanding a 7% increase. The police had been negotiating with protesters.
The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) says it’s disturbed that operations at the Lily Mine will resume next month despite the fact that three workers are still trapped underground after a shaft caved in in February.
The mine confirmed last week that work would begin after major investment by a Canadian company. Operations were halted at the mine in Mpumalanga after the collapse. Pretty Nkambule, Yvonne Mnisi and Solomon Nyerende have still not been found after rock falls complicated rescue efforts. NUM spokesperson Livhuwani Mammburu said: “We asked the company to first rescue those workers, it’s a worrying situation for the families because they need to find closure.”
Cosatu said on Monday that the SABC’s decision to stop broadcasting images of violent protests smacked of autocracy and was deeply patronizing.
The national broadcaster was assuming South Africans were “impressionable and imbecilic citizens” who needed protection from “barbaric visuals”, the trade union federation said in a statement. It wants the SABC’s board to reconsider the decision and tell South African stories uncensored, warts and all. Cosatu said the fight against apartheid was also against censorship and news sanitization and the SABC had to operate independently from all party political, factional and commercial interests.
The SABC announced last week that it had stopped television broadcasts of violent anti-government protests in a bid to discourage others from similar acts.
There is still no indication late on Thursday as to when academic activities would resume at the troubled Vaal University of Technology (VUT).
Management took a decision last week to suspend all academic activities at the campus following the torching of a building situated next to the student residences, which houses a study room, laundry room and an office. VUT spokesperson Mike Khuboni said management had, for the past couple of days, been working on the rescheduling of exams as well as a catch-up programme. The exams were initially scheduled to commence on Thursday, but due to last week’s violent protests, the university decided to suspend academic activities until further notice, instructing all students to vacate the residences.
Gautrain has drastically increased its fares since its inception five years ago, while from 1 June it will cost commuters R76 to travel between Johannesburg and Pretoria.
When the train service was launched in 2011, its first single trip from Johannesburg Park Station to Hatfield in Pretoria cost R49. Commuters have taken to social media to air their frustrations with the increased prices.Gautrain spokesperson Dr Barbara Jensen denied that Gautrain was only for rich people. She defended the increase and said it was in line with inflation.